2009-10-04

The Guava library: a Google lesson in API design

When I first read an article about a new library to do String manipulation, I wondered what could be so interesting in there ? Isn't such a basic topic already well addressed in the standard library ?
But since I am a bit concerned in API design and really wanted to know what would justify to create a new library, because the class String looks OK to me, so ... I gave it a look.
No regrets. Indeed the API is clean, consistent and simple to use.
The guava library.
I wouldn't care for trivial String manipulation, but if I have anything just a bit less than trivial, I will definitively use it !
More importantly, I know I have to look more and more to these "praised" project : google collections being next

No comments:

2023 summary

  Life is bigger than what you can imagine.  Still using Roam  http://www.roamresearch.com/  to take notes Still using Mastodon mainly, but ...