Skip to main content

Lightweight OS : Awesome Window Manager

Some year ago I used to try all kind of Window Managers on Linux and basically loosed a lot of time for nothing. I never though that I would fall back again, but having just 1Go RAM and running JetBrains MPS forced me to consider lighter alternatives than KDE.

First I tried XFCE, but it wasn't enough: too close to Gnome, too traditional. So I tried Fluxbox, didn't like the menu, RatPoison too simple and finally: Awesome. As usual, I found the Wikipedia list very useful.

And so far it is the best Window Manager I ever used.
- Fast, clean and simple, even their Web site is well designed.
- No more loosing time resizing the windows ! At about 98% I just need to have the applications full screen.
- But still it is easy to resize, typically popup window are often too small.
- No waisted screen space : no desktop.
- an unified way to close applications (no more Ctrl-Q, Ctrl-E, Ctrl-X ... one Mod4-Shift-c for all !)
- easy shortcuts
- search through the menu. It is not as good as Spotlight on a Mac or the KDE4 launcher, but I guess it can be configured.

It may sound enough, but there is more:
- highly and simply configurable with a scripting language: LUA. I already known LUA for being used in SciTE a very good code editor.
- it isn't a general purpose Window Manager, it targets my profile. It suits me: a bit cutting edge but not bleeding.

I always though that the "Desktop" was not a good abstraction, unless you have at least three 22' monitors. It becomes often a trash bin and is almost always covered with the application you are working with anyway. That is why I kind of like the KDE4 approach of a desktop that is more than a folder.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VirtualBox, CentOS, Network and Template

I have been working with VirtualBox and CentOS recently, here are some notes about this experience.
I used VirtualBox 4.2 and CentOS 6.3, but most of this should work with other products too. I created the first headless, minimal CentOS via NetInstall.
I cover two points: create a template machine and configure the Network.
Configure the NetworkWe want Internet access and a LAN local to the host.
For background information read: Networking in VirtualBox by Fat Bloke on June 2012.
The easiest is to enable two Network Adapters: One will be "Host-only" and the second "Nat". In the "Preference" menu you can see the DHCP server range for the Host-only Network. So you may set fixed addresses outside this range.
Next: start the guest. There may be various results at first, depending on a lot of things. Some problem might be solved by rm -f /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and a reboot.
Anyway, configure the two interfaces (set your own IP and MAC addresses)…

One in six IT projects ends up ‘out of control’

http://www.ox.ac.uk/media/news_stories/2011/110822_1.html

A surprisingly high number of projects are 'ticking time bombs', according to researchers at the University of Oxford. They analysed 1,500 global projects that had revamped their information technology systems within the last 10 years. They discovered that one in six projects in the sample went over budget by an average of 200 per cent (in real terms) or over ran by an average of almost 70 per cent.

Their conclusion is similar to previous studies: http://brunovernay.blogspot.com/2009/10/excellent-studies-on-software-quality.html